Scraps: A Continious Exploration

The "Scraps" project is an attempt to run a zero waste business where all fibers are used or recycled by us. Holding ourselves accountable to this ethos not only helps the environment, it also helps us develop new poducts and projects.  Working with what is already there often invites one to take new and and unexpected paths!



Working with textiles you always end up with these pieces no bigger than a couple of centimeters in diameter. For a long time we fought the impulse of landing them in the trash. It was only when a second hand sweather needed new buttons that we made the connection between the small pieces of fabric and buttons. Using marbled fabric to line metal buttons is not only a great way to use your scraps, it also helps you appreciate the intricate details in the prints, which often are lost when looking at a pattern in its entity. 

The buttons are currently made upon request and hopefully soon offered in the webshop.

Scraps to Scrunchies

Scrap to Scrunchie

Our scrunchies started as a way to use the cut-off from our "Liquid Pillows". Marbling is a very delicate process and errors and mistakes often happened. We had a whole pile of these long fabric stripes that actually looked quited pretty regardless of their irregularities. We thus need to give them a form which allowed for the beauty to be used, yet still hit the mistakes. And what is better than the scrunch from a scunchie. Today we print fabric specifically to make scrunchies but we still include all the scraps when stitching up the scrunchies.

Elizabeth Fernand

Patchwork Square - Elizabeth Fernand

We made a patchwork square for Eliza Fernand's project "A Collaborative No". Eliza was interested in what people were saying NO to, and I wanted to bring voices together in one space(quilt). Our square was a 'No to waste' kind of square. It was entirely made of scrap pieces. The back was silk noil from a personal project. The front consisted of hand marbled silk letters, which were cut-offs from a commissioned pattern and the surrounding textile was chestnut dyed cotton-silk that was used for a dye test.

During the process of matching, cutting and stitching it became very clear that this square was a materialization of 'No to Waste'. In our studio we try to minize waste in numerous ways, but we are always left with these small pieces that have no obvious use to our everyday practice. Taking part in a Collaborative No reminded us that we can say no a lot louder, and hopefully make more patchworks.

Julie Bak-Christensen